54 pre-proposals evaluated in the Additional Thematic Call
The Additional Thematic Call with four topics resulted in 54 submissions of pre-proposals. Based on external reviews the ad hoc Review Panel evaluated them and invited 18 for developing full proposals.
The Additional Thematic Call with four topics was launched by the r4d programme in January 2016. It resulted in 54 submissions of pre-proposals in all four topics. The total requested budget for the 54 pre-proposals is 138 million Swiss francs. The available budget in the Additional Thematic Call is around 14 million Swiss francs.
The distribution in the four topics is as follows (in brackets the number of invited pre-proposals):
- Employment: 7 (3)
- Public Health: 12 (4)
- Ecosystems: 23 (6)
- Natural Resource Governance: 12 (5)
The ad hoc Review Panel met for an evaluation meeting in Berne on 7th July 2016. Based on external reviews the Review Panel evaluated the pre-proposals and decided to invite 18 teams to develop full proposals. Requested funds for the 18 pre-proposals are 46 million Swiss francs.
The Review Panel was chaired by Stefanie Hellweg and Claudia Binder, both members of the Natioanl Research Council. The ad hoc Review Panel was composed of the following elected Review Panel members:
- Wolf Linder (Review Panel member Employment)
- Padmashree Sampath (Review Panel member Employment)
- Marjolein Dieleman (Review Panel member Public Health)
- Abbas Bhuiya (Review Panel member Public Health)
- Esther Mwangi (Review Panel member Ecosystems)
- Peter Verburg (Review Panel member Ecosystems)
- Joachim Sauerborn (Review Panel member Food Security)
- Ana Cascao (Review Panel member Social Conflicts)
- Marjo de Theije (Review Panel member Social Conflicts)
- San Bilal (ad hoc Review Panel member for Natural Resource Governance topic)
- Jean Acquatella (ad hoc Review Panel member for Natural Resource Governance topic)
Four delegates from SDC supported the evaluation process in the four topics:
- Brigitte Colarte (Deputy delegate Employment Review Panel)
- Susanna Hausmann (Delegate Public Health Review Panel)
- Jacqueline Schmid (Delegate Ecosystems Review Panel)
- Werner Thut (ad hoc delegate Natural Resource Governance topic)
The evaluation meeting for the full proposals will take place in January 2017. Funding decisions by the National Research Council and its Presiding Board are expected for February 2017.